by John H Bates
In 1906, the Goree Township was laid off and men were beginning to erect businesses, houses, homes and churches.
Mr. E.B. Wilson was the new railroad town’s first postmaster and also owned and operated the first Dry Foods Store and hotel, Wilson’s Hotel.
Mr. Henry Griffin and Mr. W.E. Coffman were the proprietors of the drug store operated under the name of W.W. Coffman & Co.
Mr. J.F. Crouch opened a barbershop and P.J. Camp, a tailor shop.
Hines & Wilson established Goree’s first grocery store, and W.J. Blount and George Moore a hardware store.
J.C. Woolridge & Co. added a lumber yard in Goree and Frank Davis was manager.
Goree had two blacksmith shops in 1906. J.C. Morton owned and operated one, and Mac Spears and Bud Glover, the other.
Tom Davis had a five & dime store and A.A. Brooks furnished the young people entertainment with the skating rink.
E.W. Norris and his uncle built and operated the new town’s first cotton gin.
The first residences constructed in Goree were those of J.C. Morton, J.W. Nesbitt, and J.K. Wisdom.