by John H. Bates
Hundreds of grateful people gathered in Goree, July 4, 1953, to pay tribute to these two doctors—Dr. Taylor and Dr. Heard—who combined 100 years of practice in Knox County and had served three generations.
The idea originated when the men of the Methodist Church were holding a meeting. From there on, the momentum grew and grew until it resulted in a well organized and conducted Appreciation Day Program.
The event was a community affair. Everyone for miles around had a hand in making it a tremendous success and a fitting tribute to a pair of public spirited professional men who had done more than minister to the physical ills of their community. Two men who became civic, cultured and spiritual leaders, as well.
After speeches of praise by representative citizens, response from the two doctors, a large framed portrait of each honoree was unveiled with a large bronze plaque bearing the doctors names and reading, “In loving tribute to him, this portrait is affectionately presented by his home town, Goree, Texas, July 4, 1953.” These portraits were hung in Goree’s Memorial Hall.
People from the states of Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Colorado and from all parts of Texas registered in the guest books that were presented to the honorees.